Easy Steps to Resize Your Cordless Mini Blinds for a Perfect Fit
If your cordless mini blinds are wider or longer, they’ll not give a perfect fit for your windows. An imperfect size means your affordable window coverings will not give you desired aesthetics and functionalities.
A seamless adjustment also ensures a sleek look and convenient operation, be it top-down/bottom-up, motorized, or smart. So, you should either get made-to-measure shades or customize them yourself according to the dimensions of your window frame.
This article lists and elaborates some DIY steps to shorten your cordless mini blinds, along with important safety considerations.
Mounting Style vs Blind Size
There are two mounting types, i.e. inside mount and inside mount. Each has different requirements for size adjustment. For the outside mount, you usually add a few inches along the width and height.
So, if your window coverings are longer than the window frame, you may not need to shorten them.
However, for an inside mount, you will need blinds that precisely fit inside the window frame. So, even if your blind is one inch longer, you’ll need to shorten it.
Easy DIY Steps to Shorten Cordless Mini Blinds
Sometimes cordless mini-slat shades come with a perfect width for your window but they are longer. You’ll need to shorten them. Below are some easy do-it-yourself steps to resize your window treatments.
Step 1: Measure the Window Frame to Determine the Desired Length: Start by measuring your window frame to determine the exact length (and width) you want your blinds to be.
Step 2: Remove the Bottom Rail or Slats from Your Blind: To begin shortening your blinds, carefully detach the bottom rail or slats from the blind. This will allow you to trim the excess length and customize the blinds to precisely fit your window.
Step 3: Trim the Excess Slats or Fabric from the Bottom of the Blind: Using appropriate tools such as scissors or a hacksaw, trim the excess slats or fabric material from the bottom of the blind. Take your time and make precise cuts to get the desired length.
Step 4: Reattach the Bottom Rail or Slats to the Shortened Blind: Once you have trimmed your mini blinds to the desired length, reattach the bottom rail or slats. Ensure that they are securely fastened to maintain the integrity and functionality of the blinds.
Step 5: Test Your Blinds to Ensure Smooth Operation: After reattaching the bottom rail or slats, test the blinds to ensure they operate smoothly and the length is adjusted correctly. Raise and lower the blinds to verify that they function as intended.
Safety Precautions when Shortening Cordless Mini Blinds
When undertaking any size adjustments to your pet and child-safe cordless mini blinds, it is important to prioritize your safety. Here are some crucial safety precautions to follow:
- Always refer to your product manufacturer’s instructions. These instruction blinds may provide additional guidance or precautions for shortening your window treatments.
- Use appropriate tools and observe caution when handling sharp objects. Ensure you have the right measurement and cutting tools for the job and take care to avoid any injuries.
- Before starting the length adjustment, make sure your blinds are fully retracted and secured. This will prevent any accidental damage or unwanted movement of your window shades during the process.
Additional Tips and Considerations for Shortening Your Cordless Mini Blinds
While the steps, provided above, offer a general guide to shortening your cordless mini blinds, it’s important to note that each blind may have unique features and instructions.
If you’re unsure about the process or encounter any difficulties, seek professional assistance.
- Appearance & Symmetry: Consider the appearance and symmetry of your blinds after shortening. Step back and assess the overall decorative element of your window coverings in relation to the look and feel of your window. Make adjustments as necessary to achieve visual interest.
- Keep Removed Parts: Keep the removed slats or extra fabric of your blinds, as you may need the same to restore the blinds to their original length in the future. Having the original pieces will make it easier for you to revert the blinds length if needed.
- Look for Alternatives, If Needed: Lastly, if shortening your blinds is not feasible or desired, consider exploring alternative window coverings that better suit your functional and aesthetic needs.
- There is a wide range of options available, including faux wood blinds, cellular shades, Roman shades, roller shades, and woven wood shades.
Shortening your cordless mini blinds can be a practical solution to ensure a perfect fit for your window frame. By following the steps outlined in this article and following the provided safety precautions, you can confidently customize your blinds to achieve the desired length and enjoy functional and visually pleasing window coverings.