100’s of sizes, colors, openness percentages, & optional add-ons! Order a free sample now. Plus free shipping, warranties, up to 70% discounts, & more!
Outside sun screen shades are available in different styles, ranging from woven wood shades to solar roller shades. They come with different opacities or openness factors - from 1% to 14% - for the desired amount of light filtration, visibility, glare reduction in your pergola, porch, terrace, gazebo, or any other outdoor living space.
What Are Outdoor Shades?
Outdoor shades, also referred to as patio blinds or outdoor roller shades, are sun blinds that are used to block the harsh sun and provide privacy while allowing light to filter through. They consist of a panel that winds around a headrail and can be rolled up or down.
They can be installed outside of your windows, on the top of a balcony, or in between porch columns to enjoy your outdoors on sunny days.
Key Benefits of Outdoor Sun Shades
- Made from high-performance, durable sun shade fabrics and other materials
- Premium weather-resistant flame-retardant material
- Conserve energy - prevent 57% to 63% energy loss from your building
- 100’s of sizes - from 15 x 24” to 115 x 108” (width and height)
- Various (loose and tight) UV-blocking fabric choices
- Conform with CPSC’s new kid-safety standards
- Available with battery-powered motorization option
- Lead & formaldehyde free
- Fungus and bacteria resistant
- Low VOC and chemical emissions (Compliant with Greenguard guidelines)
- Easy to measure for and install
- 100% customer satisfaction guarantee
- 110% best price guarantee
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride) - rot and fade-resistant
- Acrylic canvas fabrics (extremely durable for maximum sun protection)
Available Opacity Levels
How These Outdoor Shades Will Help You
Want to spend your time outdoors without risking sun damage? Here is how these light filtering roll-up solar shades are a better choice for outdoor spaces.
Shield UV, Not View
These patio shades will protect you from the harsh UV rays, while preserving a soft, crisp view of nature without squinting.
Create a Perfect Outdoor Retreat
Want to create a perfect, restful retreat outside your home? These modern outdoor sun shades can transform your uncomfortably hot deck or balcony into a cozy spot to enjoy nature.
Get a Glare-Free Environment
Want to use your television, laptop, tablet, or smartphone on your porch or balcony? These affordable blinds will make it easier to see or work on screens.
These shades will make it harder for nosy neighbors or people in the street to look inside your patio or veranda.
More Efficient All-Weather Temperature Regulation
During the summer, these exterior blinds will provide shade to cool down in. During the winter, they’ll block chilly breezes.
Worried about the discoloration, cracking, or warping of furniture and furnishings in your patio or gazebo?
These window blinds will keep your precious belongings safe by keeping the bright sun off your outdoor space.
Optional Add-ons to Make Your Outdoor Shades More Luxurious & Functional
- Cordless: Get rid of dangling cords to make your outdoor sun screens look sleeker. Just give a tug or lift on the bottom rail to control your cordless exterior blinds.
- Motorization: With the optional motorized control, you can automate the raising or lowering of your outdoor covers with a remote or even your voice! They can also be programmed to open and close based on the time of the day when you are away.
- Smart Lift: Integrate into your smart home and use an app to operate them.
- One-Touch Spring Roller: Simply touch the bottom hem to raise or lower the cover.
- Secured Continuous Cord Loop: Choose a vinyl or metal beaded chain.
- Valance: Select a matching valance to decorate and protect your outdoor shade from the elements.
- Opacity: Choose 1%, 3%, 5%, 10%, or 14% openness percentage to get desired amount of light control.
- Roll Style: Select a standard (traditional) way to roll your outdoor shade up the back of the roller or let the fabric wrap over the top roll to create a waterfall effect.
- Size: Treat all windows, from extra small to extra-large.
- Color: White, ivory, silver, ecru, chocolate, charcoal, etc. (Match a color with your unique decor style)
- Design: Select a modern trendy design or get a classic pattern for a conventional look.
- Mount Style: Mount the shade inside or outside (on the wall or ceiling).
Affordable Price Range
Buy a custom outdoor shade online with a premium high-performance fabric for as low as $54! The average sale price varies from $70 to over $500 based on size, weave type, and other factors.
Care & Maintenance Tips
Regular light dusting or vacuuming will keep your sun blinds looking clean and brand new.
Here are some DIY cleaning tips:
Step 1: Clean the solar mesh fabric with a soft cloth
Step 2: If stains or dirt build-up remains, clean the material with mild soapy water and sponge or chamois
Step 3: Rinse off the soap with fresh water and wipe the fabric with a soft, dry cloth
Step 4: Let the blind air dry before rolling it up and hanging back on the outdoor space
For more information, read this cleaning guide.
Buy this product here at Affordableblinds.com and get:
Width Measurement: Measure at 3 places - top, middle, and bottom - and record the smallest value. Round down values to the nearest 1/8th of an inch.
Height (vertical) Measurement: Measure top to bottom at left, middle, and right. Take the shortest measurement of the three, rounded off to the eighth of an inch.
Outside Mount (2 Easy Measurements)
Width: Measure the width you want to cover and add 3 to 4 inches to each side of the window for additional coverage.
Height: Measure the height of the area you want to cover. Add 3 to 4 inches, if you like.
For additional information, read our DIY step-by-step guide on how to measure outdoor shades to get started.
Easier DIY Installation
All hardware components included: brackets, wood screws, drywall anchors, head rail, bottom rail, etc.
Before you begin installing your outdoor light filtering sun shades, gather additional tools: screwdriver, steel measuring tape, pencil, drill with 3/16” drill bit
Now follow these steps:
Step 1: Install brackets to the left (idle end unit bracket) and right (crank unit bracket).
Step 2: Attach the shades.
Step 3: Test your shade by raising and lowering it.
For additional information to ensure inch-by-inch fit, follow our DIY step-by-step guide on how to install outdoor shades.
12 to 15 minutes
Made in the USA. Shipped from San Diego, CA.
- Pick a neutral hue to match your home’s exterior.
- Choose a tighter weave to block more light (blackout) or go with a looser one for extra airflow.
- If your porch or patio has posts, columns, or railing, it will be better to install the shades between these architectural features.
- Don’t scrub the fabric when cleaning.
- Use light blockers to cover light gaps.
Get a free sample to see how the real colors and textures look before finally selecting and buying the product.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are outside window shades called?
Outdoor shades, patio shades, porch shades, exterior shades, and exterior sun shades are some of the popular names for outside window shades.
How do you shade a patio on a budget?
A more affordable, child-safe, and visually-interesting way to shade your patio or any other exterior space is to install a cordless patio or outdoor shade.
How do you shade an outdoor window?
Various cost-effective options to shade an outdoor window include solar mesh screens, roller shades, exterior blinds, curtains, overhangs, awnings, and shutters. The best sun-protecting window covers among them are rollers.
Are patio shades worth it?
The direct answer is yes! Patio shades block up to 90% of the solar heat and the harsh UV rays, reducing your energy bills by 30%.
Use 24/7 live chat or call at (800) 863-6109 to contact our experts to choose the perfect size, color, and light filtration level for your outdoor blinds.