Try these best biodegradable options to make your home green, reduce reliance on petroleum energy, and decrease carbon footprint: solar blinds, roller shades, cellular shades, woven wood or bamboo blinds, and wood blinds. Order a free sample today. Plus free shipping, discounts, & more!
They’ll block heat from the sun and prevent energy loss through the windows.
Better insulate your windows with these chemical-free, budget-saving window coverings. Beside reducing heat, insulating curtains, roman shades, and plantation shutters will also regulate light, privacy, and visibility. This is what makes them an integral part of a sustainable household.
All products are delivered with minimal packaging to reduce impact on the environment. And all fabrics, paper, metals, plastics, and waste wood are recycled.
Did you know your heating and cooling systems are responsible for a large chunk of your carbon emissions? By cutting down on your heating and cooling costs, these eco-friendly window covers help you reduce your carbon footprint and live sustainably.
Read on to learn more about which product is best for your energy saving needs. Let’s begin.
Key Sustainability Aspects
- Sustainably harvested materials - bamboo, jute, reeds, real wood
- Renewable, recycled natural fibers
- Minimum use of synthetic, non-biodegradable materials
- Sustainable manufacturing practices to contribute to a greener future
- PVC-free & 100% recyclable
- Free from harmful chemicals and toxins
- Lead & formaldehyde free
- Environmentally responsible fabrics
- LEED certification friendly
- GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified materials
- Minimal packaging - made from post-consumer recycled material
Eco-Friendly/Energy Saving Benefits
- Low chemical and particle emissions to preserve clean air
- Reduced harm on the environment
- Environmentally conscious forestry practices
- Renewable hardwoods sourced and processed domestically, minimizing transportation
- Outstanding insulation performance
- Tremendous energy savings - save up to 30% on energy bills
- Inherently and naturally flame retardant
- Plastics manufactured using closed-loop water cooling system to decrease water waste
- Fit for both residential and commercial settings
- Strong, durable, color-consistent fabric choices
- Kid-safe, CPSC conformant control options available
- 100’s of sizes (from 15 x 24” to 115 x 108” and more in width and height)
- Optional cordless and motorized controls.
- Fungus and bacteria resistant
- Easy to measure for and install
Best Energy Saving Eco-Friendly Blinds & Shades
Made from 100% recyclable and naturally sustainable materials, cellular shades are one of the most popular and modern choices for eco-friendliness and energy conservation. The air trapped in their honeycomb pockets decreases heat gain during summers and heat loss during winters.
These window blinds also prevent cold drafts from entering your room. You can customize them for color, size, style, and pattern to fit your decor.
If you have south-facing windows that receive regular bright sunlight throughout the day, solar blinds will be a better option for maximum cut on power bills.
They will block the sun’s heat to greatly reduce your cooling needs in summertime in warmer climates.
Solar blinds are available with various opacities or openness percentages, such as 1%, 3%, 5%, 10%, and 14% for the desired solar heat and glare regulation.
They will block UV rays to protect your interior furniture and other decor elements from fading. Plus they will protect you and your family from sun damage to the body, like skin cancer.
Bamboo or woven wood window covers are made from natural, sustainable, renewable resources, so they are a great alternative to traditional hardwood shades.
Bamboo blinds are available with loose and tight weaves to regulate natural light and insulation in your home. Also, bamboo shades are strong and durable, so you won’t need to replace them for many years.
Tight-Fitting Mini Blinds
These lightweight and affordable blinds are a functional choice to cover smaller windows with tight fitting mini 1” slats, which can block cold currents and harsh UV rays on west or south-facing windows.
With intuitive temperature regulation, they can help you save big on your utility bills. As mini window coverings are manufactured from recyclable vinyl material, they are an environmentally friendly choice.
How They’ll Help You
Heat and Cold Insulation
Biodegradable blinds - especially, cellulars - are excellent at keeping heat out during the summer and trapping it in during the winter. The cells of honeycomb structure act as tiny insulators.
With their collective strength, they totally block the transfer of heat across the window openings.
Likewise, bamboo, reed, and jute blinds are available with tighter weaves to block both heat and light. They can also help you to keep prying eyes at bay.
Reduced Energy Consumption
With perfect temperature regulation, eco-friendly blinds and shades reduce your need to run air conditioning systems in different weathers, significantly decreasing your energy consumption and saving you a huge amount on monthly bills.
Less Strain on Environment
Blinds made from recycled plastics and other sustainable materials don’t put strain on your environment during their production. If recycled materials are used to make faux wood blinds, they’ll save on wood production. They can be recycled at the end of their expected lifespan.
Also, eco-friendly shades reduce stress on the environment, as they require fewer resources to produce. For example, bamboo is a fast-growing plant, offering an environmentally friendly way to grow it.
100% Domestic Production
From start to finish - from the harvesting of recyclable materials to manufacturing of blind components and assembling them - everything is done in the US, keeping the price of these window covers at the lowest possible level.
Sustained-Yield Forest Management
Environmentally conscious forestry practices are used to ensure more hardwood and bamboo trees grow than they are harvested each year. Thanks to such responsible forest management practices, the volume of hardwood trees in North America is nearly twice larger today than it was fifty years ago.
Free from Toxins
New premium energy saving shades are made from materials that are free from harmful chemicals and toxins, which are detrimental to your environments.
Less Reliance on Artificial Lighting
Make the most of daylight hours and keep lights switched off to save on electricity bills! As eco-friendly/energy saving shades come with a light filtering option to fill your room with a soft, diffused glow, minimizing your reliance on artificial lighting.
Better Indoor Air Quality
Want to get rid of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) that can cause respiratory disorders? Replace your traditional window covers with advanced eco-friendly blinds and shades. Made from non-toxic materials, they enhance your indoor air quality.
If you purchase eco-friendly shades made from natural materials, they’ll add a soothing organic touch to your home’s interior.
Lower Maintenance Costs
Environment friendly blinds and shades do not require any special cleaning treatments, like harsh chemicals, which are bad for the environment. You can simply wipe down the fabric vanes or slats to keep them looking new and fresh. It also reduces water consumption, making your blinds eco-friendlier.
Affordable Price Range
Buy an advanced energy-efficient shade online with a premium high-performance fabric for as low as $18 (mini blinds)! The average sale price varies from $20 to over $400 based on size, quality, control option, and other factors.
- Cordless: Make your eco-friendly shades safer for kids and pets with a cordless option.
- Motorization: Automate the raising or lowering of your energy efficient window treatments with a remote.
- Smart Lift: Integrate these shades into your smart home and use an app or your voice to operate them.
- One-Touch Spring Roller: Simply touch the bottom hem to raise or lower the eco-friendly window treatments.
- Valance: Select a matching valance to decorate and protect your window treatments from the elements.
Personalize to Perfection
- Size: Treat all windows, from extra small to extra-large.
- Color: White, ivory, silver, ecru, winthrop tortoise, chocolate, charcoal, etc.
- Design: Select a modern trendy design or get a classic pattern for a conventional look.
- Mount Style: Mount the shades inside or outside your window frame.
Buy this product here at Affordableblinds.com and get:
Here is our DIY step-by-step guide on how to measure energy efficient eco-friendly shades to get started.
Easy Do-It-Yourself Installation
All hardware components included. For a professional, inch-by-inch fit, follow our DIY step-by-step guide on how to install eco-friendly blinds and shades.
Varies for different products (usually 13 to 15 minutes)
Shipped from San Diego, CA.
- For better energy efficiency, choose double cellular shades or dual roller shades
- Match a color with your unique decor style
- Don’t scrub the shades when cleaning.
- Use light blockers to improve insulation and cover light gaps.
Get a free sample to see if it really improves energy savings in your home before finally selecting and buying the product.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of blind is the most energy efficient?
A cellular shade with a double layer of insulating cells or air pockets is the most energy efficient window blind. With its efficient dual insulation mechanism, a ‘cellular’ can keep heat and cold (chilly drafts) from coming in, saving you a big amount on your air conditioning costs.
Are energy efficient blinds worth it?
Yes! Energy efficient blinds not only protect your environment but also block 90% of the solar heat and the harsh UV rays, reducing your monthly power bills by 30%.
Are bamboo shades eco-friendly?
Yes, they are! Bamboo shades are made from renewable and sustainable materials, while ensuring sustained-yield forest management. These blinds are not harmful to your natural environment. Bamboo is a fast-growing plant with low production costs.
What are the best blinds to keep the sun and heat out?
Vertical or Venetian (horizontal) blinds with proper installation and tighter slat-fit are the best covers to keep the sun and heat out.
Use 24/7 live chat or call at (800) 863-6109 to contact our experts to choose the best energy efficiency level, size, and color for your eco-friendly blinds and shades.