Is your bedroom next to a busy street, have noisy neighbors, or have a home office or classroom that could be quieter? Looking for the best blinds, shades, curtains, and shutters to soundproof your room ? Here are 7 best noise canceling blinds, shades, and window treatments that will absorb sound, helping you make your home quieter and more peaceful.
Honeycomb blinds, also known as cellular shades, are the superior choice when it comes to acoustic blinds that help to soundproof your room. Their uniquely designed honeycomb structure can help to trap noise within the cells, preventing external sounds from entering your home.
In addition to reducing noise levels, best acoustic soundproof window treatments also offer thermal protection, light and intimacy management, and decoration.
Here’s a comprehensive guide about the 7 best blinds and shades for blocking out noise.
What are the 7 Best Blinds & Shades for Blocking Out Noise
What blinds are best for noise reduction? When it comes to soundproofing your room, there are lots of affordable window treatment options to choose from, like blinds, shades, and curtains, that stand out above the rest.
Heavy drapes and curtains can help to muffle sound, while window films can provide an extra layer of protection against outside noise. Layers of fabric are also effective at absorbing sound, so consider using multiple window treatments to create a tranquil oasis in your home.
Here are the seven best blinds and shades for blocking out external noise and creating a quieter, more comfortable space in your home.
1. Noise Cancelling Cellular Shades
While cellular shades are good at insulation, they are also great for blocking out noise. They have a honeycomb-shaped design that traps air and creates an effective barrier against sound. These noise-blocking window treatments also have a thick fabric construction that can help reduce noise.
- Trap noise within the cells and reduce heat gain in summer and heat loss in winter.
- Best soundproof blinds for high traffic areas.
- Cellular shades can be a little more difficult to clean correctly.
- They are not eye-catching and flexible when it comes to light.
Average Price Range
The typical price range for sound absorbing Cordless Cellular Shades is $40 to $190 for windows ranging in sizes from 19” W x 24” H to 72” W x 84” H.
2. Acoustic Blinds
The most common and effective type of window treatment is an acoustic blind or shade. These blinds and shades are designed to absorb sound and minimize noise transmission. They are usually made of thick, heavy fabric and are often lined with a second layer of fabric or an acoustic foam panel.
- Sturdy construction with tight-fitting slats.
- Offer an inexpensive soundproofing option.
- Easy to clean.
- Require regular cleaning.
- May make noise if slats are made of metal.
Average Price Range
Average cost ranges from $25 to $150 for sizes between 18” W x 24” H to 72” W x 84” H.
3. Acoustic Curtains
Acoustic curtains can also block out noise. Acoustic curtains can be hung from a curtain rod or track and can be adjusted to cover any size window.
- Made from heavier fabrics to block more noise.
- Can reduce transmission of sound by up to 29db.
- Layering option for better soundproofing and decorative touch.
- Results may vary across different acoustic environments.
- May fade if exposed to harsh sun.
Average Price Range
Average cost of acoustic curtains ranges from $50 to $250 for sizes between 18” W x 24” H to 72” W x 84” H.
4. Soundproof Blinds
Another type of window treatment that can be used to reduce noise is a soundproof blind. These blinds are made of materials that block out sound, such as vinyl or aluminum. They are available in a variety of styles, including roller blinds, Roman blinds, and Venetian blinds. Soundproof blinds can be custom-made to fit any size window and can be combined with other window treatments, such as curtains, for added noise reduction.
- Efficiently absorb sound.
- A great option if you have echo issues in your home.
- May not block out 100% noise.
- Not suitable for very large windows.
Average Price Range
Average cost ranges from $10 to $200 for sizes between 18” W x 24” H to 72” W x 84” H.
5. Sound Blocking Roman Shades
Roman blinds and shades are made from fabric materials that can help absorb sound. You can also add a lining that can help block out noise.
- Improve the overall acoustic comfort and design of any room.
- Versatile and stylish option.
- A variety of colors to choose from.
- Fabric may wear down.
- Do not last as long as other options.
The average price range for sound blocking Roman Shades is between $140 and $300 for sizes between 16” W x 12” H and 72” W x 120” H.
6. Roller Shades to Keep Noise at Bay
These window shades can be made with a dense fabric that can help reduce or completely block out noise. Roller shades also have a bottom bar that can seal off the bottom of the window frame and reduce noise levels.
- Prevent external noise from entering your room.
- Less environmental impact.
- Boost your home’s energy efficiency.
- Unsuitable for very narrow windows.
- Flap in the breeze if the window is open.
Average Price Range
7. Wood Blinds with Solid Construction
These window blinds can be made with thicker slats that can help reduce noise levels in your home. The solid construction of wood blinds can help block out noise.
- Lightweight, strong, and sustainable.
- Come with blackout properties to improve sound insulation.
- Wood blinds are prone to breaking, cracking, and splitting.
- They may not last as many years as some other window treatments.
Average Price Range
Woven Wood Bamboo Shades typically cost between $50 and $150 for windows ranging from 20” W x 24” H to 72” W x 72”.
Key Benefits of Blocking Out Noise with Blinds and Shades
The benefits of blocking out noise with the 7 best soundproof blinds, shades, and window treatments are numerous.
By absorbing sound waves, these window treatments can significantly reduce the amount of noise that enters a room. This is especially beneficial in settings where improving focus or concentration is important, such as offices and classrooms.
Reducing Stress and Promoting Relaxation
In addition to improving focus, reducing noise levels can also help to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
Improving Sleep Quality
A quiet environment has been shown to improve sleep quality, and it can also be helpful for those who suffer from anxiety or sensory processing disorders.
In addition to blocking out noise, the 7 best blinds and shades can also help to improve your home’s energy efficiency. For example, insulated shades can help to keep the heat in during the winter months, and light-colored blinds can reflect sunlight and help to keep your home cool during the summer.
With so many benefits, it’s no wonder that more and more people are choosing one of the 7 best blinds and shades for blocking out noise.
Factors to Consider When Choosing One of the 7 Best Blinds and Shades for Blocking Out Noise
When selecting window blinds and shades to block out noise, you should consider the thickness and density of the fabric or other material. You may also look for other features, such as a lining or bottom bar to reduce or block out noise.
Function of the Room
If you’re looking for a window treatment for a bedroom, you’ll want a noise-reducing blind or shade that provides privacy and darkness. For a living room or kitchen, you might be more concerned with letting in light.
Style of the Room
If your décor is more modern, you might want to choose a minimal window treatment that doesn’t interfere with the lines of the room. If your style is more traditional, you might prefer something with more fabric and folds.
Your noise-reducing blinds and shades can range from inexpensive to very costly, so it’s important to set a budget before you start shopping.
Create a budget
By taking into account the function, style, and budget for the room, you can narrow down your options and choose the perfect window treatment to block out noise.
Measuring Instructions for Noise Canceling Blinds
- Measure Width: Measure the width of the windows at top, middle, and bottom. Record the narrowest value.
- Measure Height: Measure the height of the top of the window or other space from the top to bottom in the left, middle, and right. Record the shortest measurement. For example, if the measurements are 84”, 84 ¾”, and 84 ¾”, order blinds measuring 84 inches (7 ft) in length.
Installation Instructions for Better Soundproofing with Blinds
For a professional, inch-by-inch, edge-to-edge fit, follow DIY step-by-step guide on how to install cordless light filtering cellular shades.
- Step 1: Drill holes (using a ⅜-inch drill bit)
- Step 2: Set up the brackets with screws and a screwdriver.
- Step 3: Hang your window covers.
Where to Buy Best Soundproof Blinds Online?
- Up to 70% discounts
- Free Shipping throughout the contiguous United States at no cost to you
- 110% best price guarantee.
- 100% Worry-Free Fit: We’ll take up part of the cost to get your problem resolved, if you miss-measure your window.
- A Free Lifetime Guarantee
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee with 5-star customer care
- Free Consultancy (Measuring, Installing, Choosing Right Product)
There are lots of blinds, shades, and other window treatments that can be effective in reducing noise levels. The 7 best soundproof window coverings include acoustic blinds, noise-canceling shades, and sound absorbing curtains. All these options can help to create a quieter and more comfortable environment. By taking into account the function, style, and budget for the room, you can choose the perfect noise-blocking blind or shade for your needs.
What is the best window treatment for noise reduction?
What blinds block traffic noise? Because of their honeycomb construction, cellular shades (also referred to as honeycomb shades) are one of the best window treatments for noise reduction from traffic in a busy street. Just as they capture and trap air coming through the windows, they can keep external noise from coming into your bedroom, home office, classroom, or other space.
Do noise canceling blinds work?
Noise canceling blinds may muffle any noises from outside, but they won’t block it out 100%. They help to soundproof your home by absorbing the sound once it passes through the window. Blinds with higher insulation properties, like honeycomb window treatments, are better at eliminating sounds.
What blinds block traffic noise?
Honeycomb blinds with a blackout fabric and double cell construction are the best choice for blocking traffic noise, as they offer the best sound reduction properties.
Need More Help?
Still unsure which noise canceling blinds will best soundproof your room? Contact our professionals using 24/7 live chat or give us a ring at (800) 863-6109 for a custom solution.