Also, you can use these rustic window treatments to achieve a farmhouse or country style look in your city apartment. Many of these rustic window shade ideas can even be made yourself.
Trim your windows in a variety of ways, from traditional gingham prints to more modern options , such as white sheer shades and farmhouse curtains. Your country home’s decor will decide whether you need rustic burlap or soft sheers.
Classic fabrics like burlap, plaid, and gingham, or reclaimed wood valances can boost comfort and charm in your farmhouse or cabin-inspired home.
You can pick your favorite product from standard options or custom, handmade pieces. An alternative is to go with a combination of classic and contemporary elements in the form of transitional shades.
For example, you can pair flat Roman shades with sheers woven blinds. To top off your design and give your living room a conversation-starting statement, add a dynamic chandelier with a burnished metallic sheen.
Key Benefits of Each Type of Farmhouse Shades
- An ideal choice for farmhouse decor, homestead, rural dwelling, & ranch house
- A cost-effective way to give a perfect farmhouse look to your city lodge
- Fully functional blinds with a pure rustic look
- Various classic and creative styles to choose from
- Lots of fabric choices (wool, linen, jute, sisal, cotton, bamboo, etc.) to suit your farmhouse-styled home decor
- Several light control options - from sheer to light filtering to total blackout
- Fully customizable - 100’s of sizes, colors, & patterns
- Optimized for energy efficiency of your country home
- Lots of natural and synthetic material (faux wood)
- Bluetooth & app-powered motorization for luxurious operation
- Compatible with your existing smart-home system
- Kid-safe (CPSC-compliant) cordless option
- Easy to measure and DIY-friendly installation
- Lower prices - buy a natural woven wood shade for as low as $55!
What is Farmhouse-Inspired Style?
Traditional and modern are two variants of farmhouse style.
Embodying the original farmhouse aesthetic, a traditional farmhouse style gives a simple, cozy, yet practical touch to your ranch house.
Key elements of this style include vintage pieces, natural fabrics, warm natural wood tones, plaid patterns, and vintage pieces.
On the other hand, a modern style offers a blend of the features of its traditional counterpart and more contemporary elements, such as clean lines, neutral colors, and sleek finishes.
Best Farmhouse Window Shades
Living in a character-rich old farmhouse or just want to incorporate warm, inviting farmhouse-style into your sleek contemporary home?
These inspiring examples of traditional and boho-inspired modern farmhouse window covers can seamlessly transform the look and feel of your rural dwelling.
Natural Woven Wood Shades - Boho-Inspired Modern Farmhouse Look
Want to create a light-hearted, inviting space in your farmhouse’s eat-in kitchen, dining room, lounge, or bedroom? Install natural woven fiber shades - also referred to as bamboo blinds - for a bright, welcoming, bohemian aesthetic. Do proper color matching for a cohesive look throughout the farmhouse.
To further boost boho-inspired modernity in your rural home, use natural, unfinished wood furniture, potted plants or flowers in vases, and a casual, woven chandelier.
Rustic Roller Shades
Few farmhouse blinds are as innovative and effective as rustic roller shades. These window treatments will help you keep your country style homes cool in the summer and illuminate the interiors.
These shades are available with clean lines and a variety of colors, textures, and light filtering and room darkening options to match any farmhouse decor. With the room darkening option, they’ll provide excellent privacy at dinner time.
100’s of sizes enable them to be customized to fit any window size.
Best of all, rustic roller blinds come with an easy-to-operate and child-safe cordless lift system, making them a perfect choice for any farmhouse style home.
Whatever your unique reason for choosing them, rustic roller shades are an effective way to improve the airy appearance of any dining room window.
Honeycomb Shades for a Farmhouse Living Room
Also referred to as cellular shades, honeycomb shades are a popular choice for farmhouse living room window treatments, as they add style and function to your living room. They can be used to insulate against heat and cold and block out sunlight.
The honeycomb shaded design traps air traveling through the windows in between the cells, providing warmth in the winter and preventing heat from entering your room during the summer.
Honeycomb shades are also highly customizable from their lots of designer prints and a wide range of light filtering and room darkening fabrics, providing a specific farmhouse inspired style you are looking for.
Classic Striped Window Shades
A classic fabric, like ticking stripe, is widely used in cottage interiors and farmhouse kitchen curtains. Choose rustic curtains with thin (vertical or horizontal) stripes to create a cozy look.
You can contrast classic striped window shades with buffalo check patterns on the bed. To enliven the black-and-white color scheme of this farmhouse shade by a red side table and crimson accessories.
Flat Fold Roman Shade - A Simple, Functional Option
Want to add an authentic woven texture to your farmhouse style dining room, bedroom, or kitchen?
A Roman shade with crisp, clean flat folds at the bottom is a simple, functional choice.
Its graceful woven texture comes from a creative blend of soft wool with a plaid pattern.
Colors to pick from include white, gray, beige, and cream. For a layered look, you can hang a tailored pleat drapery in front of the romans.
This style will also make your windows and walls look bigger.
Transitional Window Treatments - Flat Fold Roman Plus Sheers
A transitional (paired) option allows you to blend classicism with modernity in your country style home, effectively bridging the void between past and present!
Hang a classic Roman shade (with a subtle check pattern) and layer it with a sheer light-filtering fabric blind.
If Roman shade is made from material, your farmhouse rooms will get a complete range of light control options, from ample bright light to a room darkening effect or total blackout.
Expert Tips to Choose the Right Farmhouse Shades for Windows
- Light Control: Depending on the type of your farmhouse room, you can choose a suitable light control option. For example, go with sheers for farmhouse porches or patios; light filtering for farmhouse living rooms; and room darkening for farmhouse bedrooms.
- Size: Measure true width, height (e.g. 115 x 120), and depth (for an inside mount) of your country home’s window.
- Color: Consider colors like daylight, beige, ivory, dove gray, etc. to match your rustic decor.
- Material: Choose from cotton, jute, sisal, bamboo, reeds, grasses, and other natural fabric options. Synthetic fabrics with natural looks offer better affordability.
- Mount Style: Mount your new, fresh farmhouse shades inside, outside, or to the exterior.
Get a free sample to see how the fabric colors, and textures look and work in your unique decor settings before finally selecting and buying a custom-made product.
Why Buy Farmhouse Window Shades at Affordableblinds.com
Buy this product here at Affordableblinds.com and get:
Here is our DIY step-by-step guide on how to measure window frames to get started.
- Measure Width: Measure the width of the farmhouse windows in three places - top, middle, and bottom. Record the narrowest measurement.
- Measure Height: Measure the height of the top of the window casing to the window sill in 3 places - left, middle, and right. Record the shortest value.
All hardware components included for all covers. For a professional, inch-by-inch, edge-to-edge fit, follow our DIY step-by-step guide on how to install farmhouse window covers.
- Step 1: Drill holes (using a ⅜-inch drill bit)
- Step 2: Set up the brackets with screws and a screwdriver.
- Step 3: Insert the tracks and hang your farmhouse shades for windows.
Varies across different product types and sizes (on average 10 to 12 minutes). For example, ‘rustic bamboo blinds’ are quicker to install than ‘natural fabric romans’.
Shipped from San Diego, CA.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of windows do farmhouses have?
Popular farmhouse window styles include single-hung, double-hung, and awning windows. You can pair black farmhouse windows with a neutral color palette, clean, simple lines, and rustic furnishings to create a comfortable yet sophisticated space.
What blinds does Joanna Gaines use?
Joanna Gaines, a famous American interior designer, loves to hang natural bamboo blinds and pairs them with simple white curtains to add texture and create a layering effect.
What type of blinds are farmhouse style?
Unsure what blinds look good in a farmhouse? Wood blinds, wood shutters, and Roman shades, and bamboo blinds are popular choices to add a more rustic aesthetic to your farmhouse-style dwelling.
What color blinds for a modern farmhouse?
Ivory- or cream-colored cellulars or Roman shades work quite well in a modern farmhouse design plan. A soft gray-brown, white, and neutral color palette are also preferred choices to add texture and contrast to your farmhouse’s decor.
What color should farmhouse curtains be?
White and its variants, such as ivory and cream, give the main neutral base to a farmhouse curtain, making your farmhouse-style home look neat and bright. For tonal contrast and warm, welcoming vibes, select wood tones, black accents, or stone textures.
Need More Help?
Still not sure which product to choose to complement your farmhouse style? Use 24/7 live chat or give us a call at (800) 863-6109 to contact our design consultants to choose the functional and cost-saving coverings for rural dwelling.