Want your Roman shades to keep providing visual elegance and functional diversity? Just keep cleaning and maintaining them, including troubleshooting common issues, such as sagging, unevenness, cord tangle, and damage from moisture. And you need to address all the issues timely, as a stitch in time saves nine. Read on to find some easy DIY tips to troubleshoot common issues with Roman shades, including sagging and unevenness, etc.
Common Issues with Roman Shades
Some of the commonly occurring issues with Roman shades include sagging, unevenness, cord tangle, and damage from heat and humidity.
- Sagging: If you have installed wide Roman shades on your windows, they are likely to bend down in the middle. Over time, the fabric of your Roman shades may start to sag in the middle and cause a droopy appearance. Sagging can happen due to the weight of the fabric, poor-quality construction, and improper installation.
- Unevenness: Roman shades for windows may not always hang evenly. This unevenness can cause the fabric to bunch up or hang at an angle. This may happen due to improper adjustment and uneven installation.
- Cord Tangle: The lift cords that control the opening, closing, and adjustment of Roman shades can sometimes become twisted or tangled. This can lead to the malfunctioning of the shade or an issue with its smooth operation.
How to Prevent Common Issues of Sagging, Unevenness, etc. with Roman Shades
To prevent sagging, unevenness, and other problems with Roman shades, it’s important to choose high-quality, durable materials, ensure proper installation and adjustment, and perform regular maintenance tasks to keep them clean and functioning properly. If you do experience such issues with your Roman shades, there is nothing to worry about. Just follow some DIY tips to fix your uneven or sagging Roman blinds.
Diagnosing the Issue with Roman Shades
The first step towards troubleshooting issues with your Roman shades is to find the nature and location of the nuisance. Just maneuver your window treatment and observe how it’s working.
The string being partially caught in the cord lock at the top of the shade is one of the most common issues. You can solve the issue by gently pulling the string loose. However, if the string is seriously stuck, consult a professional to help you fix it. And if the fabric is sagging, you can simply tighten the cords to fix the issue.
DIY Tips to Troubleshoot Sagging of Roman Shades
Below are some quick DIY Tips to fix the sagging of your window coverings.
- Tighten the Cord: The cord lifts that control the raising and lowering of the Roman shade can sometimes loosen, causing the fabric material to sag. To fix this, tighten the cord and see if this improves the look of your shade.
- Re-tie the Cord: Sometimes the lift cords of Roman shades can become unevenly tied and cause the shade to hang unevenly. To fix this, re-tie the cord mechanisms, and make sure they are properly aligned.
- Add Additional Support, If Needed: If the sagging of your blinds is due to a lack of support, you can add additional support by attaching a thin wooden dowel or metal rod to the back of the window treatment. This will help keep the fabric taut and prevent its bending in the middle.
- Adjust the Mounting Brackets: If the mounting brackets holding your Roman shades in place are not even or properly aligned, this can cause sagging. Just readjust the mounting brackets to make sure they are level and properly aligned.
- Replace the Shade, If Needed: If none of the above DIY tips works, you may need to replace your Roman shade. Moreover, the fabric of your window covering can become worn and stretched, and make it difficult for you to restore its original shape and look.
DIY Tips to Troubleshoot Unevenness of Roman Shades
Like sagging, you can quickly fix the unevenness of your Roman shades with the help of some do-it-yourself tips.
- Realign the Blind: Sometimes the mounting brackets may become loose or misaligned. It will cause the shade to hang unevenly. You can simply realign the blind to fix this issue.
- Readjust the Lift Cords: The lift cords control the operation of your shade and they can become uneven over time. To fix this, try readjusting the cords on each side of the window covering to even them out.
- Check the Rings: The rings that the lift cords of Roman blinds are threaded through can sometimes become uneven or tangled, leading to unevenness. Check the rings to make sure they are untangled and properly aligned.
- Straighten the Fabric: If the unevenness is due to the fabric becoming twisted, try straightening the fabric by gently tugging and readjusting it until it hangs evenly.
- Check for Obstructions: If the shade is facing an obstruction from a window handle or latch, this can cause it to unevenness. Try readjusting the window shade to clear the obstruction.
- Iron the Fabric: If the fabric of your Roman shades has wrinkles or creases, they may cause the shade to hang unevenly. Simply iron the fabric to smoothen out any wrinkles or creases.
Summing up, if you are unsure about how to fix your sagging or uneven Roman shades or if it seems like a complicated task, consult with a professional window treatment repair service provider for assistance.